INTRODUCTION TO JAZZ PIANO FOR CLASSICAL PIANISTS
A brief, yet comprehensive introduction to the world of jazz piano–specifically geared to classical pianists. This camp will be hands-on, fun, and extremely educational. All questions will be answered, and all topics demonstrated allowing the students to have an “over-the-shoulder” view of jazz piano!
- A brief history of jazz piano, with listening examples from some of the most influential artists; listening list will be provided
- Relationship between classical and jazz
- Roles, functions, and styles a jazz pianist must master (solo piano, duo context, trio with bass and drums, larger ensembles
- Introduction to common chord progressions, basic chord vocings, harmonizing a melody from a lead sheet
- Introduction to improvisation
Sessions will consist of a mix of discussion of the topics, all demonstrated by Gary, with lots of hands-on interaction with the students. Lots of Q & A.
Profession Pianist, Composer, Arranger and Teacher
Knowledge and fluency of major scales, some basic harmony (major, minor triads), an open mind!
Kawai Piano Gallery • 5800 Richmond Avenue • Houston
June 18 – 22 • 9:45AM – 11:45AM
PRIVATE PIANO LESSONSLEARN MORE
GROUP PIANO LESSONSLEARN MORE
BEGINNER PIANO LESSONSLEARN MORE
MUSIC SCHOOL LOCATION
Monday 10:00 am–7:00 pm
Tuesday 10:00 am–7:00 pm
Wednesday 10:00 am–7:00 pm
Thursday 10:00 am–7:00 pm
Friday 10:00 am–7:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am–6:00 pm
Sunday 1:00 pm–5:00 pm